Tips for Hardwood Floors
Helpful hints for keeping your wood floors looking gorgeous.
Beautiful hardwood floors are the envy of so many homeowners. Timeless, durable, and natural, they are a classic floorcovering that never goes out of style. Hardwoods can add character and warmth, and they can even help elevate your home value. All of which are reasons it's important to protect and preserve their beauty.
If you've ever found yourself having to replace the carpet in an older home, you’ve probably whispered, “please, let there be hardwood underneath." (And if you’re lucky enough, you might uncover such a treasure and decide to restore then, Or maybe you bought a home with new or refinished hardwoods, and thought to yourself... "Okay, NOW what do I do with these?"
Read on for our get-started guide for helpful hints for hardwood floors, and take the first steps in keeping your floors in tip-top shape for years to come.
Protect against wear and tear
Daily foot traffic and inevitable mishaps can take a toll on our floors. However, these proactive steps can prevent floor damage, saving both you and your floors from long-term wear:
• Strategically place area rugs and mats in high-traffic areas, such as entryways and hallways. These not only add style but also act as barriers against abrasive dirt and debris.
• Attach furniture pads to the legs of chairs, tables, and other heavy pieces. This prevents scratches caused by movement and weight.
• For pet owners, regular nail trimming for your furry companions is essential. This practice safeguards against scratches caused by pawing or playful scurrying across the floor.
Shield them from sunlight
While the sun’s rays may provide coveted natural light, they can take a toll on hardwood floors. UV rays can lead to fading, bleaching, and deterioration of the wood’s finish. To help safeguard your floors against these elements, follow these tips:
• Opt for windows with UV-blocking coatings. These windows minimize penetration of harmful ultraviolet rays while still allowing natural light to illuminate your space. As an added bonus, windows with these types of glass are also exceptionally energy efficient--meaning they can help you save money on energy bills.
Our High-Performance™ Low-E4® SmartSun™ glass is the most energy-efficient glass option we offer. It’s 70% more energy efficient in summer and 49% more energy efficient in winter as compared to ordinary dual pane glass.* Without tarnishing the view, it blocks 95% of harsh UV rays.
What does that mean for you? It means it offers thermal control similar to tinted glass...but maintains the visible light transmittance of clear glass. Learn more about all of our glass options here.
• Want even more protection? Consider dressing up your windows. Window treatments like sheers, blinds, or drapes serve a dual purpose: styling your space and offering crucial protection. Draw curtains or blinds during peak sunlight hours to minimize direct sun exposure.
Establish a regular cleaning schedule
Maintaining clean floors doesn’t only enhance their beauty, it prolongs their life. Here’s how to properly clean and care for your floors:
• Use a vacuum with a floor brush attachment or one specifically designed for hardwood floors. Avoid vacuums with rotating beater brushes that may inadvertently scratch the wood.
• If it’s been a while since you’ve pulled out your broom, you’re not alone. However, regular sweeping prevents dirt and debris from scratching the surface of your floors.
• The right products can make all the difference. When mopping, opt for a damp cloth or a mop designed for hardwood floors. Use a pH-balanced, hardwood floor-approved cleaning solution to maintain the finish’s integrity.
• Hardwood and moisture do not mix. Avoid wet mopping or excessive water as it can lead to warping and damage.
Your hardwood floors embody elegance and sophistication in your home. A little care can go a long way. By protecting hardwood floors from sunlight, putting preventative measures in place, and maintaining a regular cleaning routine, you’re ensuring their longevity and everlasting charm.