Festive Foodie Fourth
Positively patriotic snacks, main dishes, drinks, and desserts for July 4 fun
Summertime is gathering time! Whether you’re hosting a fabulous blowout or just hanging out and enjoying the weather with family and friends, nothing says summer fun more than celebrating the 4th of July. And no celebration, big or small, is complete without food! Why not try a few of these All-Star recipes at your festive Fourth gathering?
Meaty (and Meatless, too!) Main Dishes
Cheezy Dazzle Dogs
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Take a skewer and stick it all the way through the center of the hot dog length-wise, leaving about an inch and a half exposed out of the top of each hot dog. Take a piece of breadstick dough and wrap it around the hot dog in a spiral shape until you reach the top, leaving gaps in between each spiral. Repeat with the rest of the hot dogs and lay them on the baking sheet.
3. Bake hot dogs for about 20 minutes, or until the breadsticks are golden brown.
4. While the hot dogs are baking, use a star cookie cutter to cut out stars approximately an inch in diameter. Let the hot dogs cool and then place 1 cheese star at the top of each hot dog in the part of the skewer that's sticking out of the top.
Note: Display the hot dogs using a Styrofoam ball so they can stick straight up like firecrackers. Serve with ketchup and mustard.
Adapted from handmadeintheheartland.com
Red, White, and Blueberry-Quinoa Superfood Salad
1. Thoroughly rinse quinoa with cool water and then strain/drain.
2. Place quinoa in small saucepan with stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy like rice. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
4. While quinoa is simmering, prepare dressing. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp of the grape seed oil and the shallots/onions. Sauté until tender and slightly caramelized (appx. 5 minutes), stirring often. Remove from heat to cool.
5. Add cooled shallots to a food processor or blender with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, 2/3 cup blueberries, syrup, and a pinch each salt and pepper. Puree, scraping down sides as needed.
6. To plate, top the mixed greens with slightly cooled quinoa, nuts, and 1 cup blueberries (add additional berries and sprinkling of feta cheese, if desired). Serve with dressing. Best when fresh.
Berry Blast Watermelon Pizza
2. Spread mixture onto slice of watermelon and top with berries, mint, and toasted coconut. Serve immediately.
Patriotic Chia Pudding
2. Stir very thoroughly (otherwise the chia seeds tend to form clumps). Give the jar a good shake.
3. Seal the jar and chill in the fridge for a minimum of four hours, preferably overnight.
4. Stir the chilled chia pudding, then add an even layer in little glasses.
5. Top with fresh berries and garnish with a sprig of mint and serve immediately.
2. Cover and refrigerate for 1-4 hours, so that the flavors can meld. (Be aware, the longer it sits, the pinker the liquid will become from the berries)
3. Just prior to serving: slice apples into thick rounds; cut out stars with cookie cutter. Then, gradually stir in the champagne, apple stars, and ice. Serve immediately.
*Other options for the “white” fruit stars: pears, jicama, pineapple, or starfruit.
Adapted from Gimmesomeoven.com
All-American Gelatin Shots
2. In a separate small bowl, repeat process with cherry Jell-O® mix. Let both mixtures cool.
3. Meanwhile, make white layer: In a medium bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup of milk. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring remaining 3/4 cup milk to a simmer. Turn off the heat then stir in sugar, vanilla, and vodka.
4. Pour heated mixture over plain gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Let cool for 10 minutes.
5. Lightly spray 20 one-ounce plastic shot glasses with cooking spray. Spoon about 2 teaspoons berry Jell-O® mix into each. Refrigerate until set but not completely firm, about 15 minutes.
6. Top with about 2 teaspoons white gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes.
7. Cover with about 2 teaspoons cherry Jell-O® mixture. Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
Adapted from Delish.com
(Yankee Doodle) Dandy Desserts
Fireworks Cake Shake
2. Pour into a glass and top with toppings. We used more ice cream (because who wouldn’t?) and sprinkles!
Adapted from Lil’ Luna
Star-Spangled Short Cakes
2. Place spoonful of raspberry mixture in bottom of each cake shell.
3. Add heaping dollop of whipped topping to preserves.
4. Add fresh berries; top with additional whipped cream and/or extra raspberry preserve if desired.