Easy July 4 Picnic Fare
Be foodie but not fussy with these easy to make and even easier to eat backyard party faves!
Summertime is a time for hanging out with family and friends, for gathering together and enjoying the weather and everyone's company. And while maybe those gatherings are a bit smaller-scaled than normal right now, we're slowly getting back to "normal." And nothing says summer fun more than celebrating the 4th of July--even if we are staying six feet apart. So whether you are having family time at the cabin or maybe doing a B-Y-O-D(inner) and backyard party with the neighbors, why not try a few of these easy-going festive Fourth recipes?
Devilishly Good Bacon-Avocado Eggs
2. Mix yolks with avocado, bacon, jalapeno, onion, tomato, lime juice, and cilantro.
3. Season filling to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
4. Place a tablespoon of the mixture back into the holes left by the yolks in the eggs.
5. Garnish with leftover bacon and/or cilantro leaf or a pinch of chili powder.
Adapted from Closet Cooking
Berry Blast Watermelon Pizza
• 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• Watermelon slice, 1" thick
• Fresh berries, for garnish
• Fresh mint, for garnish
• Toasted coconut (if desired), for garnish
1. In a small bowl, mix ricotta, cream cheese, honey, and vanilla together until combined.
Moonlight Knight BBQ Chicken
• 1 tablespoon dried oregano
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 10 chicken thighs (about 3 lb.)*
• 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons horseradish
2. Seal chicken in a re-sealable plastic freezer bag and chill for 4 hours.
3. While chicken is marinating, make sauce. To make sauce, combine all White Knight ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir until completely blended.
4. Remove chicken from bag, discarding bag.
5. Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 180°.
6. Remove from heat and serve with Moonlight Knight White BBQ Sauce.
**Sauce will last up to a week in a sealed, refrigerated container.
Grilled Margherita Pizza
• Pizza sauce*
• Roma tomato slices
• Olive oil
• Fresh sliced mozzerella
• Fresh basil, torn
2. Roll out pizza dough on a surface lightly oiled with olive oil. Being careful not to tear it, stretch the dough out…make a circle, a wedge, an oval, a rectangle, or a gingerbread man…whatever shape you like!
3. Place the dough directly on the grill grates over med-low heat.
4. Grill the dough until the bottom is crisp and has a slight char. Carefully flip the dough over using a spatula and immediately top the pizza with sauce and ingredients.
5. Close/cover the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and beginning to bubble.
Fireworks Confetti Cake Shake
• ½ cup cold milk
• 2 Tablespoons yellow or white dry cake mix
• 2 Tablespoons red, white, and blue sprinkles or nonpareils
• Toppings: Whatever you like! More sprinkles, whipped cream, extra scoop of ice cream, Maraschino cherries…or ALL OF THE ABOVE!
2. Pour into a glass and top with toppings. We used more ice cream (because who wouldn’t?) and sprinkles!
Key Lime Praline Pie
• 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
• 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons jarred caramel topping
• 2 (14-oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
• 6 egg yolks
• 2 teaspoons Key lime or lime zest
• 1 cup fresh Key lime or lime juice
• 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2. Stir together graham cracker crumbs, next 2 ingredients, and 1/2 cup toasted pecans until blended.
3. Take a lightly greased, 10-inch deep-dish pie plate and press crumb mixture on bottom, up sides, and onto lip.
4. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely (about 45 minutes).
5. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup toasted pecans over bottom of crust; drizzle caramel topping over pecans.?
6. Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and next 3 ingredients. Gently pour into prepared crust.
7. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until almost set. (The center will not be firm but will set up as it chills.)
8. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Cover and chill 4 hours.
9. Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Dollop or spread over pie. (You can also use regular, aerosol whipped cream).
10. Garnish with lime slices and/or zest.
Adapted from MyRecipes.com